This article provides a step-by-step guide how to configure and install CirQlive MEETS as an LTI tool in your Blackboard Learn LMS.
Stage 1. LTI installation on the Admin Panel
When logged in as an administrator, go to the "System Admin" tab and click on the link to the "Building Blocks" page in the "Building Blocks" section.
On the Building Blocks page, click on the "LTI Tool Providers" link.
On the LTI Tool Providers page, click the "Register Provider Domain" button.
For the following section, you will need the Provider Domain, Key, Secret and URL provided to you in the MEETS Admin Panel when first setting up a MEETS instance. (to retrieve your LTI credentials, please see: Creating a MEETS integration instance for your LMS)
Alternatively, CirQlive may not have provided you with a MEETS Admin Panel. In this case, you will have received a Provider Domain, Key, Secret and URL directly from CirQlive which you can use when following the steps below.
Section 1, "Provider Domain Status":
- For "Provider Domain", enter the Domain (which you received from the MEETS Admin Panel or directly from CirQlive)
- Set the "Provider Domain Status" to "Approved".
Section 2, "Default Configuration":
- Set the "Default Configuration" to "Set Globally"
- For "Tool Provider Key", enter the Key (which you received from the MEETS Admin Panel or directly from CirQlive)
- For "Tool Provider Secret", enter the Secret (which you received from the MEETS Admin Panel or directly from CirQlive)
- For "Tool Provider Custom Parameters", enter:
Note: these custom parameters are important for ensuring compatibility of Blackboard Learn's LTI connection and must be entered exactly as given.
Section 3, "Institution Policies":
- Set "Send User Data" to "only over SSL".
- Make sure all "User Fields to Send" options are checked.
- Set "Show User Acknowledgment Message" to "No".
Finally, click "Submit".
Stage 2. Creating an LTI Tool placement
After submitting the information from Stage 1, you should be taken back to the "LTI Tool Providers" page (to otherwise access this page, see beginning of Stage 1). You will now see the newly created domain. Hover over the dropdown arrow (on the right hand side of the name of the domain) and select "Manage Placements" to bring up the placement management page. Click on "Create Placement".
Note: for the purpose of this guide, we will use "MEETS" as the name of the LTI tool. You can, however, substitute this name with the name of your choice in the following steps.
Section 1,"Placement Information":
- For "Label", enter the name of the platform, "MEETS".
- For "Handle", enter "MEETS" as well.
- For "Type", Select "Student Tool".
Section 2, "Tool Provider Information"
- For "Tool Provider URL", enter the URL (which you received from the MEETS Admin Panel or directly from CirQlive)
- All other necessary fields should be automatically pre-filled with the information you entered in Stage 1.
Stage 3. LTI installation in a course
Go to a course page to which you wish to add a MEETS LTI connection. On the left-hand panel, click on the "+" sign to bring up the "Add menu item" dropdown.and select "Tool Link".
In the "Add Tool Link" popup:
- For the name of the tool, enter "MEETS".
- Select "MEETS" from the "Type" dropdown. (If you gave the tool a different name than "MEETS" in Stage 2, then this dropdown will contain that name instead)
- Ensure that the "Available to Users" option is checked.
- Click "Submit".
You should now have a link to MEETS appear in the left-hand menu of the course page, giving your users direct, one-click access to the MEETS platform.
If you set this course up to be used as a template, any courses created from it will automatically contain the MEETS link. However, courses created from this template will not contain the data from the MEETS link in the original course.
Adding MEETS to additional courses
To add MEETS to more than one course (without using a template), simply repeat Stage 3 for each course. (Stages 1 and 2 only need to be done once per site and instance)