Setting up federated authentication with MEETS enables users to securely access meetings, using your organization's LDAP or SAML SSO service.
Administrators can specify what capabilities to allow with these services, including:
- Creating a MEETS platform that one can authenticate to using SSO (vs. LTI).
- Personal email subscriptions and calendar integration regarding upcoming events, which can include direct access links that require SSO authentication.
- Teachers/Instructors can generate links to join each event and/or view its recordings, and also specify when they will expire. Different levels of authentication are available.
Administrators can specify settings on each MEETS connection. Further, each connection can have multiple authentication services enabled for it. This allows using multiple authentication services, a primary authentication service as well as a backup service, or using a new authentication service while still transitioning away from an older one.
To set up federated authentication:
1. Access the Authentication tab in the MEETS Administrator Panel
2. Click on the "+" button. Give the instance a name, select the SSO method (LDAP or SAML), and click the "+" button to save.
One can add multiple SSO services to the MEETS panel. Please see section 6 about connecting the instances to the SSO services.
3. Configure the SSO as explained in the manuals on the bottom of the page.
4. Once the SSO is set up, test it using the test button.
5. One can pause the connection and reactivate it using the pause button.
6. To connect an integration instance to SSO, click on the name of the instance on the left hand panel under the "Per-Connection Settings", and choose the SSO service to connect with it in the "Linked Authentication Sources" section.
Please note that there may be multiple SSO services connected to the platform, as in section 2. One can choose to connect multiple SSO systems to an integration instance. One can connect different integration instances to different SSO systems.
If an integration instance has not yet been created, one can do so on the "Platform Connections" page.
One can also configure the authentication for calendar, email reminder and guest invite links.
----- Next Article: Configuring Authentication Requirements when Generating Meeting Links -----